Historisches Falkensee
Geschichtspark Dauerausstellung Museum Rosengarten Falkenhagener Anger Falkenhagener See
Historisches FalkenseeEin Rundgang durch die Geschichte

Quarantine camp, tool shed and monument object


Note: The photos have not yet been released for the Internet under copyright law!

German prisoners of war returning home from Norway in the Falkensee transit camp, July 1946.

Source: German Historical Museum, Berlin, Schirn 15644/3

After the end of the Second World War, the subcamp served as the "Agneshof quarantine camp" to accommodate refugees, resettlers from the areas east of the Oder and Neisse and as a transit camp for German prisoners of war who had returned home. With a few structural interventions such as the installation of ovens and chimneys and some interior painting, the camp remained almost unchanged.

With the dissolution at the end of 1948, the buildings were demolished over a period of several years. Only the accommodation barracks, which are still preserved today, and a service building, the foundations of which are also preserved, remained standing.

From the 1960s to the 1990s, the nearby Staaken concrete works produced sand and used the barracks as a tool shed and material store. For this purpose, the gable walls were opened for large driveways, the ovens were removed again and most of the inner transverse walls were removed. The rest of the area was largely overgrown.

Since 1993, the city has been developing the historical park on the historic site, exposing barrack foundations and other floor coverings, and finally renovating the prisoner barracks in 2018. Today, the entire camp site is under monument protection.

Children in the Agneshof quarantine camp in Falkensee on October 9, 1946.

Source: German Historical Museum, Berlin, Schirn 15985/3a

Interior view of the preserved prisoner barracks with the ovens that were added later, photo probably from the 1960s.

Source: Walter Thomas, Archive Museum Falkensee

The Staaken concrete works dismantled sand on the site of the former camp and used the only prisoner barrack still standing as a material room. The recording is from the 1980s.

Source: Archive Museum Falkensee


Lage in der Stadt:
Größere Karte anzeigen